Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I drove for Uber, but they are stating I did not earn enough income through them to receive a 1099

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
ThomasM

I drove for Uber, but they are stating I did not earn enough income through them to receive a 1099

Companies are not required to issue you a 1099-misc if they paid you less than $600.  If you believe this is inaccurate, then you'll have to talk with Uber about it.  But the fact that you didn't receive a 1099 does not change your own requirement to report income.

As an independent contractor you're entitled to claim your expenses to offset the Uber income.  You'll report both income & expenses on Schedule C of your individual tax return.  You'll need to use TurboTax Self Employed if you prefer an online version of TurboTax (you can use the Deluxe, but only in the desktop version).  You'll click on the Business tab to get started; then just follow the prompts and answer the TurboTax questions.  Probably your biggest expense will be for your vehicle, and the IRS allows you to claim either actual expenses paid or a standard mileage rate for all your business miles driven ($.54 per mile for 2016).

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies