Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I don't provide my dependent's insurance - shared custody & made mistake on marketplace application - put household 1 instead of 2 what do I do?

Shared custody - I claim my child on taxes as their guardian does not work. Child receive's state insurance through guardian.

I accidentally put household 1 instead of 2 on Marketplace Insurance application thinking I only included who I needed coverage for. I receive assistance from marketplace. 

Next year, I will need to file my 1095-A, do I need to add my dependent to my household count even if I don't provide their insurance?

Do I need to purchase insurance for my dependent even if they already have it?

Do I withdraw from my insurance? Or do I just not claim my dependent on taxes?

Just don't want to have legal issues, have phobia of legal issues.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

I don't provide my dependent's insurance - shared custody & made mistake on marketplace application - put household 1 instead of 2 what do I do?

Shared custody - I claim my child on taxes as their guardian does not work.

You need to make sure you qualify to claim the child as a dependent.  The fact the guardian does not work does not factor into that.  If the child does not live with you for at least 1/2 of the year (183 nights), you might not be able to claim the child.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p501.pdf#page=11

Next year, I will need to file my 1095-A, do I need to add my dependent to my household count even if I don't provide their insurance?

Yes (assuming your claim the child as your dependent).  The program will automatically do that.

Do I need to purchase insurance for my dependent even if they already have it?

No.  But you should notify the Marketplace that you will have a Household Size of two, so they can adjust any Advance credit accordingly.

Do I withdraw from my insurance? Or do I just not claim my dependent on taxes?

There is nothing wrong your situation and nothing wrong for claiming your dependent (IF the child qualifies as your dependent).  Just contact the Marketplace to tell them about your correct Household Size.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies