Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

combsjlc

I don't have my foster Childs SSN and DSS does not have the files due to reunification. Can I use another number?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
JulieH1

I don't have my foster Childs SSN and DSS does not have the files due to reunification. Can I use another number?

Unfortunately, you have to have a social security number for the child to be claimed on your taxes.

I have found the SSN for clients in several ways but it will require you to have the appropriate paperwork.

In my state,  you need a SSN number to have Medicaid, for example.  In many states, the SSN  functions as their individual ID number in the foster care system - though many case workers don't know that. 

The SS numbers are usually filed for by the hospital staff when the babies are born - right along with filling out the birth certificate.

If you have anything that lists their full legal names, you can usually take it down to the SS office with your paperwork and ask what the numbers are - if they can find the kids in their system, they'll tell you the numbers.

A word of caution, if the child was reunified, the parent may have used the child as a deduction already.  If you do find the number and claim the child and it is a duplicate, your return will be held up and the IRS will most likely give the deduction to the parent.  Sorry.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies