Here's what to do if you, your spouse and/or dependents do not have a Social Security Numbers and you are applying for an ITIN number (Note: You will not be able to file online)
- Whenever TurboTax asks you for your SSN/ITIN, leave it empty. You will be warned about Errors but that's okay because you aren't going to e-file anyway.
- Once you've entered all of your data and your forms are complete, TurboTax will tell you that you will have to file by mail because you have errors which prevent e-filing.
- Save all of the forms to your computer and/or print them directly from TurboTax
- When attempting to print you will be warned that you have errors and asked if you want to proceed anyway, say yes.
- Sign your return along with your spouse if Married Filing Jointly and include any withholding (copies or W-2) or other documentation that would normally accompany your return.
- Write the words "Applied For" for all missing Social Security Number fields
- Mail your return with your W-7 form along with all required and notarized documents.
Make sure you mail your tax return, along with the ITIN application, to the address given on this page --> ITIN Information