Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I do work as I get it, I guess you’d call it gig work. I also care for my disabled wife (over 10 years disabled and on ssi. They are taking advantage of her and I have watched here ssi benefits cut in half the last ten yrs. she attempts to call to

state her case on a regular basis, and is lied to, spoken to with contempt, spoken down to , for what reason I know not.   I have been her husband and caretaker.    My ‘business, between you and I, is a glorified handyman since covid, and I somehow still have that American spirit that tomorrow will be better than today.    I want to speak to an expert:,  I’ve heard I can claim her under EIC,    File head of House, claim her as my dependent, and I need some kind of advocacy group that can help get her SSI back where it originally was $800-$900.    I made almost 16,000 all told last yearplus her 400/month.   Can I file EIC claining her as dependant?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

I do work as I get it, I guess you’d call it gig work. I also care for my disabled wife (over 10 years disabled and on ssi. They are taking advantage of her and I have watched here ssi benefits cut in half the last ten yrs. she attempts to call to

sorry, but the tax laws forbid you from claiming your spouse as a dependent

you need a lawyer specializing in eldercare/ social security disability.

ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

No. A spouse is never a dependent. Since you are married, your choices are Married filing Jointly or Separately. You can't file as Head of Household.

You may qualify for EIC this year since you work. This is not for her, but it is a credit available to low-income people who work.

Please see the EIC Chart for 2021 for persons without children. EIC tables

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies