Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I do my Mother’s taxes for her. Electronic filing uses an electronic signature. My Mother died Jan 15, 2018. can I file, with the electronic signature?

I have been doing my taxes with TurboTax for years.  I also do my Mother’s taxes for her.  We always filed electronically for Federal, but for IL State, since my Mother’s retirement income is not taxable by IL, I filed by paper, because there was no refund.  When electronically filing for Federal, the signature was an “electronic” signature, so that was no problem.  I did her taxes, filed, and gave her the paper copies.  Her Federal refund is always direct deposited into her checking account, no problem.  This year I need a question answered.  I’m preparing to file for her 2017 taxes, but she died Jan 15, 2018.  One of my brothers has had POA for several years; and will be handling her estate.  My question is this.  Since she was living all throughout 2017, we need to file for her.  Since I always used the electronic signature, can I go ahead and file as I always did, using the electronic signature and have the refund deposited as usual?  My brother with the POA will hold the bank accounts open until the estate is settled, then close it all.  I guess my question gets down to this.  If I had all the docs, and TuboTax would have let me file prior to the 15th at 9:00a (the time and date of her passing), there would be no question.  But, since I’m filing AFTER her death, is there a problem of filing as if she’s alive at this moment using the electronic signature I’ve always used???  

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
Carl
Level 15

I do my Mother’s taxes for her. Electronic filing uses an electronic signature. My Mother died Jan 15, 2018. can I file, with the electronic signature?

NOTE: for others reading this thread. An estate administrator has been clearly identified in this thread, and my response applies to the estate administrator. I have no reason to assume or even think the administrator is going beyond or asking to go beyond their legal responsibilities and requirements, just because the person posting the original message is not the actual administrator. This is family. So please remember that.

I'm sorry for your loss. Generally, if it works, it works. It's really not a problem provided you actually have the e-filing PIN. Read the question in the personal info section where you enter the tax filers name, that pertains to their passing. It's asking if they passed in 2017, so do NOT select that in your case.

Do note that if you get a rejection code/message of SSN LOCKED, that means whoever is handling the final arraignments has done their job and notified the social security administration already of their passing. When that happens, the SSN is locked so that it can't be used fraudulently. Looking at the timing of her passing, it may not be locked yet. But just be aware of what that reject message means, if you get it. If that does happen, then you have no choice but to print, sign and mail the return to the IRS. The legal administrator would take care of that, after you complete the return and print it in that case.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies