Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Mother-P

I do consulting; work done in 2016 was paid in 2017. I incurred 2016 expenses but will not have a 1099 until next year. Is it ok to claim a loss with no income or 1099?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
SeanE1

I do consulting; work done in 2016 was paid in 2017. I incurred 2016 expenses but will not have a 1099 until next year. Is it ok to claim a loss with no income or 1099?

Most individual taxpayers are on the cash basis instead of the accrual basis and therefore include only income that is actually received in a given tax year.  So for 2016, if you received no income, you would create your Schedule C showing all of your expenses with no income.  Don't worry, most businesses either show a loss or breakeven during the first few years of operation. For 2017, things will level out and you will show both income and expenses.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
SeanE1

Most individual taxpayers are on the cash basis instead of the accrual basis and therefore include only income that is actually received in a given tax year.  So for 2016, if you received no income, you would create your Schedule C showing all of your expenses with no income.  Don't worry, most businesses either show a loss or breakeven during the first few years of operation. For 2017, things will level out and you will show both income and expenses.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies