Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I didnt live in New York nor work for a New York based company for 2022 but there is NY SDI and NY PFL. Neither of these should be charged. What do I do?

I did live in NY for part of 2021, moved, but forgot to change my residency for taxes until later in the year. How do I go about filing for a refund of the PFL and SDI? Any help is appreciated!
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
MaryK4
Expert Alumni

I didnt live in New York nor work for a New York based company for 2022 but there is NY SDI and NY PFL. Neither of these should be charged. What do I do?

You must request a refund from your employer- unfortunately, you cannot get a refund from the state on your tax return.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Hello @MaryK4 !

Oh, just noticed this reply. Thanks for taking the time to write back!

Is my employer required to give the refund or is it up to them? 

Also, out of curiosity, why can I not get a refund from NY for a tax I shouldnt have paid? Feel like it should be similar to the income taxes I paid that I got a refund for... 

Thanks!

GeorgeM777
Expert Alumni

The NY PFL and SDI that you paid is different than the income taxes you paid.  To follow-up on the comments from @MaryK1101, you should contact your employer and ascertain what they will do.  If you prefer, you can contact the NY department that handles paid family leave.  That office phone number is   (844) 337-6303.  The NY Worker's Compensation Board handles SDI matters.  They can be contacted at (877) 632-4996.  

You might want to check with the NY departments mentioned above to see what experience they have in matters similar to your own.  

@tmehta2442 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies