Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I didn't qualify from the marketplace because I had not worked to file taxes. I went to Lifespan health clinic which was based on no income. I paid 20.00 to see a doctor.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

I didn't qualify from the marketplace because I had not worked to file taxes. I went to Lifespan health clinic which was based on no income. I paid 20.00 to see a doctor.

That does not qualify as Health Insurance.  However, if you did not make enough to file your taxes, then as your walk through the health insurance section and answer all of the questions, you should get a screen that pops up saying your penalty has been waived or one that says you have no penalty depending on the state you live in if Medicaid was not expanded and your household income is less than 148% of poverty level. This would be an automatic penalty waiver in TurboTax.

Also, if you had no income, then insurance in your area would be more than 8.16% of your household income.  If this is the case, when you are walking through the Health Insurance Section in TurboTax, you will simply select "Insurance through the marketplace was not affordable" when it asks do any of these situations apply that would waive the penalty. This is one of the exemptions you can claim through TurboTax without a certificate number., below is the list of exemptions you do not need a certificate to claim: 

• coverage is unaffordable through work or the marketplace, meaning coverage would cost more than 8.16% of your households Modified Adjusted Gross Income.  You would need to know the cost of the plans to determine this https://www.healthcare.gov/tax-tool/#/
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies