Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Your taxes, your way. Get expert help or do it yourself. >> Get started
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gwenlopez 44
Returning Member

I did my taxes but I need to fix it I have my unemployment tax papers

2 Replies
Level 15

I did my taxes but I need to fix it I have my unemployment tax papers

if you sent in your return at this point it can't be recalled. the IRS won't open e-filing until 2/12/2021. so you'll have to wait. if your return is rejected you can fix it and resubmit. if it is accepted you'll have to wait until it is fully processed and then file an amended return. 


if it isn't submitted you can go back and make changes and then submit it. 

Expert Alumni

I did my taxes but I need to fix it I have my unemployment tax papers

Once a tax return has been filed it cannot be changed, canceled or retrieved.


Since you have already submitted your 2020 tax return electronically, you will have to wait until your tax return was either accepted or rejected.

  • If your e-filed return is still pending. Wait until the return is accepted before amending.
  • If your return has already been accepted. You will need to amend your tax return.
  • If rejected, just make your changes and then resubmit or mail your return.


How to Amend Your Return:

  1. Open TurboTax.
  2. Scroll down to Your tax return & documents (you may need to select Show), select 2020 and then Amend (change) return.
  3. Select Amend using TurboTax Online.
  4. Follow the onscreen instructions.
  5.  You can e-file your 2020 amended federal tax return, but most states require amendments to be printed and filed by mail.
  6. If you choose to e-file your amended tax return, you’ll review, sign and transmit your federal return. If not,TurboTax will provide you with instructions to print and mail your amended return.


About Community

Learn about taxes, budgeting, saving, borrowing, reducing debt, investing, and planning for retirement.



Manage cookies