Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I clean houses and I get paid by multiple people which don’t issue me a w-2 or a 1099 misc how do I report it if my grossis over $2000 but not paid more than $2,000 by one person

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
maglib
Level 11

I clean houses and I get paid by multiple people which don’t issue me a w-2 or a 1099 misc how do I report it if my grossis over $2000 but not paid more than $2,000 by one person

You are probably considered SELF EMPLOYED as you are working in the business with multiple clients. Household Employee is really a term for someone doing this casually and not in the business.

If you want to enter as Household Employee:

In TurboTax, enter Household Employee wages at:

Federal Taxes , Click on Wages and Income, Click “I’ll choose what I work on”, Scroll down to Less Common Income,On Miscellaneous Income, 1099-A, 1099-C click the start button, On the next screen click the start button on Other Income not already reported on Form W-2 or Form 1099. Answer Yes on the next screen and complete the interview.

TurboTax puts the amount on line 7 (wages) of form 1040 or 1040A (or line 1 of form 1040EZ) with the notation “HSH”. It is considered earned income. 

The IRS has been investigating HSH income since it may avoids social security tax, it's undocumented qualifying income for the refundable credits. Make sure you have excellent records of where you work and who you work for. The IRS deems someone working as you are normally SELF EMPLOYED since you are in the business with multiple clients.

Since no single employer paid you more than the statutory limit, they are not required to withhold taxes. 

If you claim them as HSH the Household employee wages  were from more than one employer and no single employer paid your more than the limits, you MAY be able to avoid the social security tax . But, you will also not get credit for these wages with the Social Security Administration, for future benefits.  You should speak with a tax advisor if you choose not to report this amount as SE income.

SUGGESTED METHOD: Report as Self Employment income

You will need TT Self Employed these wages on schedule C, paying your own social security tax In TT go to Federal Taxes tab, choose Wages & Income, choose “I’ll choose what I work on”, Scroll down to: Business Items and select   - Business Income & Expenses (Sch C).

You can than deduct your cleaning supplies and mileage and other expenses.

IRS guidance for self employed:

https://www.irs.gov/businesses/small-businesses-self-employed/self-employed-individuals-tax-center

**I don't work for TT. Just trying to help. All the best.
***Say "Thanks" by marking as BEST ANSWER and clicking the thumb icon in a post and that I solved your question
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
I am NOT an expert and you should confirm with a tax expert.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies