I became a permanent resident in April of 2016. I have received interest income from holdings outside the United States. How do I report that income?

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Announcements
TurboTax has you covered during Covid. Get the latest second stimulus info here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I became a permanent resident in April of 2016. I have received interest income from holdings outside the United States. How do I report that income?

I have a bond for a us company that I purchased in Panama, and is held by the Panamanian bank I purchased it through. I received interest payment on that bond.  I also have bank accounts that paid interest (<5000 in 2016)
1 Reply

Manually enter both in the in the Income/Interest screens. Give the name of the bank and the bond. Convert any foreign currency interest to US$ using a US Treasury rate. It is complicated though if you were resident only 9 months and you may be able to prorate it. But not if you were resident on a temporary visa - you still have to pay tax.
You may also need to file a FINBAR return and a form 8938 depending on the value of the holdings.
Dynamic Ads
v
Privacy Settings