turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

judy-yero

I applied part of my refund to the 2019 taxes, but it didn't change the amounts shown on my estimated tax coupons. It did for the State, but not for the Federal.

I assumed it would take the amount assigned to 2019 off the first couple of estimated taxes, but it didn't. Where did the money go that I assigned to 2019??? This happened last year too, and I wound up with a large refund when I first started the 2018 form. I want to reduce the estimated payments. How do I do that?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

I applied part of my refund to the 2019 taxes, but it didn't change the amounts shown on my estimated tax coupons. It did for the State, but not for the Federal.

If you apply a lot of your refund to next year, you must do the algebra yourself and adjust your ES payments accordingly.

Turbotax doesn't do that for you.

I'm surprised it did it for State, but what do I know?
Are you sure ?
judy-yero

I agree. It did it for the State and, in the past, has done it for the Federal. For some reason, it didn't do that last year, but I didn't notice...so paid much ore than I needed to. Doesn't make sense that it does it for State, but not for Federal. But if that's the case, I'll apply it myself.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies