Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

trevor-may23
Returning Member

I am trying to fill out the section for a 1099. After clicking "yes" to report the self-employment income, I get "something went wrong." This has occurred 10 times now

It's clearly a system error. I have tried this on my computer and on my phone and run into the same issue
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies
DianeW777
Expert Alumni

I am trying to fill out the section for a 1099. After clicking "yes" to report the self-employment income, I get "something went wrong." This has occurred 10 times now

This will help you move forward in your tax return. It's not a requirement to enter the 1099-NEC, the IRS has a copy.  The best way right now is to delete that form and enter the income directly on your self employment activity (Schedule C).

• Search (upper right) > Type schedule c > Click the Jump to... link > Edit beside your business or continue > Select Income and enter the total business income including the 1099.

You'll need to delete this form 1099. 

• If you're using TurboTax Online software and need to delete a form, click here.
  • If you're using TurboTax CD\Download software and need to delete a form, click here
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
trevor-may23
Returning Member

Thank you! Does that also apply to a 1099G (Unemployment Compensation) or do I need to input that information as well?

DawnC
Expert Alumni

You need to enter the information from your 1099-G if you have one.   You can delete any 1099 with the instructions Diane gave above.   To enter your unemployment compensation from a 1099-G (Box 1), 

• Open or continue your tax return.
  • Search for 1099-G and select the Jump to link at the top of the search results.
  • On the Did you or Spouse receive unemployment or paid family leave benefits? screen, answer Yes.
  • Follow the onscreen instructions to enter your 1099-G information.
trevor-may23
Returning Member

Thank you for the response. However, I have tried this over 10 times now and after filling out that section, I get the attached error message. If I am required to do this, what can I do?Screenshot 2024-04-15 104436.png

DawnC
Expert Alumni

Click on Tax Home from the left side menu.   What is the status of your returns?   

Try these steps to clear the issue.  

Contact Support if the issue continues

trevor-may23
Returning Member

Yes, I have tried clearing my cache already. I have also tried contacting support numerous times but because I am using the free online version I cannot speak to a person. The one time I was connected to a person, I was immediately hung up on without a word. I'm growing increasingly frustrated with this experience.

trevor-may23
Returning Member

Hi! Just looking to follow up on my pressing issue. I don't want to file an extension if I don't have to.

Thank you!

KrisD15
Expert Alumni

Let's make sure we are clear on this issue.

Is the tax firm 1099-G or 1099-NEC?

If 1099-G, enter that as "Personal Income"

"Wages & Income" (or "Personal Income" if using Home and Business)

Scroll down to "Unemployment"

Scroll down to "Unemployment and Paid Family Leave   START or UPDATE

It would not be listed as self-employment income on Schedule C

IF THIS IS A 1099-NEC,

enter directly on Schedule C

Business

Business Income and Expenses

Profit or Loss from Business   START or UPDATE

Self-Employment cannot be reported using TurboTax Free.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies