kevindodge21

I am single and have no children or dependents. Starting a new job in 2015 I accidentally chose 3 exceptions when filling out my W-4 by claiming myself head of household.

I am single and have no children or dependents. Starting a new job in 2015 I accidentally chose 3 exceptions when filling out my W-4 by claiming myself head of household, and before starting my 2016 taxes I had noticed this error and owe money for the first time. Do I have to go back and amend my 2015 return? If I do, what exactly do I need to change? Also - would I have to do anything different for my 2016 taxes? I've corrected the W-4 with my employer.

SeanE1

Your question is cut off, so I don't know if you wanted to know anything else.  Please change your W-4 at work as soon as possible.  If you are still single, change the exemption amount to either 1 or 0.  You will have more in taxes taken out of every paycheck, but will owe a lot less or even get back a small refund at tax time.