I am separated from my husband but not legally. What do I choose as my filing status?

e-king-jones

Texas Roger

Married filing jointly with your spouse or married filing separately. You may qualify to file as Head of Household if you meet these qualifications:

1. You are not married or “considered unmarried” on the last day of the year. You are considered unmarried if you lived apart from your spouse the entire last 6 months of the year.

2. If "considered unmarried" you file a separate return from your spouse.

3. You paid more than half the cost of keeping up your home  for the year.

4. You have a qualifying child (whether or not you claim the dependency exemption) or you claim a dependency exemption for a “qualifying person”  who is related to you and who lived with you in the home for more than half the year. An exception is a parent does not have to live with you to be a qualifying person.

mrs-embry2012

We have been separated for years.  So will I file single?