e-king-jones

I am separated from my husband but not legally. What do I choose as my filing status?

Texas Roger

Married filing jointly with your spouse or married filing separately. You may qualify to file as Head of Household if you meet these qualifications:

1. You are not married or “considered unmarried” on the last day of the year. You are considered unmarried if you lived apart from your spouse the entire last 6 months of the year.

2. If "considered unmarried" you file a separate return from your spouse.

3. You paid more than half the cost of keeping up your home  for the year.

4. You have a qualifying child (whether or not you claim the dependency exemption) or you claim a dependency exemption for a “qualifying person”  who is related to you and who lived with you in the home for more than half the year. An exception is a parent does not have to live with you to be a qualifying person.

mrs-embry2012

We have been separated for years.  So will I file single?