Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

RICHARD1001
Returning Member

I am self employed using deluxe. where can I place cost of a laptop using section 179 ? The expense form only allows for equipment rental not purchase

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DawnC
Expert Alumni

I am self employed using deluxe. where can I place cost of a laptop using section 179 ? The expense form only allows for equipment rental not purchase

You can put it in office expense - you don't have to claim a home office deduction to claim office expenses.   

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

3 Replies
RobertB4444
Expert Alumni

When you enter the asset and the cost of the asset the system will offer you the option to have accelerated depreciation if you are qualified to take it.  

However, a lot of laptops are considered semi-disposable equipment these days with a shorter shelf life than the 5 years for computer equipment.  If your laptop is less than $2500 you may just want to expense it.

@RICHARD1001 

RICHARD1001
Returning Member

sounds good. Thank You - but in looking at the "profit or loss Schedule C form, which catagory in Part II would I use to include the laptop cost. I don't think I can use #18 "Office Expense" since I don't have a home office as it' defined

DawnC
Expert Alumni

You can put it in office expense - you don't have to claim a home office deduction to claim office expenses.   

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies