turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

bdscpacfe

"I am self employed my wife is my only employee. We had to purchase healthcare through the ACA. Where do I enter our respective health premiums?

"I am self employed my wife is my only employee. We had to purchase healthcare through the ACA. On my books I deducted her premium as a business expense. For the purpose of Turbo Tax where is her healthcare premium entered and where is my premium enter? Note: it appears from the way I entered the info on Turbo Tax, the amount seems way to high. May have somehow entered it twice."
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
PeterM

"I am self employed my wife is my only employee. We had to purchase healthcare through the ACA. Where do I enter our respective health premiums?

The cost of the premiums (both for you and your spouse) are a deductible business expense.

The premiums you paid for your health insurance are entered on Form 1095-A in the program.

• This is done by searching for "1095-A" in search box in the upper right hand corner of your screen.
  • This will bring up the "Jump to 1095-A" link...click the link to get started.
  • The first screen you come to asks you if you had health coverage in 2016, there are three options and you'll pick the first option that states "We all had health insurance all year" (you'll be able to the edit the actual time in a later screen).
  • The nest screen presents you with several different options as to your insurance, you'll click "yes" if any of the options apply to you.
  • The next screen asks you the type of plan you were enrolled in. Choose the option "Obamacare Plan".
  • The next screen asks if you've received a Form 1095-A (you should have been mailed this form by the provider)
  • If you answered "yes" on the prior screen, then the next screen will be where you'll enter the information found on the 1095-A.
  • The next screen asks for to check "all that apply"...you'll check the box for being self-employed.
  • For the next screen you'll have to answer a few questions pertaining to your business that paid the health insurance premiums.
  • Click the Continue/Done button

Edited for form number error.
PMM 2/21/17

View solution in original post

1 Reply
PeterM

The cost of the premiums (both for you and your spouse) are a deductible business expense.

The premiums you paid for your health insurance are entered on Form 1095-A in the program.

• This is done by searching for "1095-A" in search box in the upper right hand corner of your screen.
  • This will bring up the "Jump to 1095-A" link...click the link to get started.
  • The first screen you come to asks you if you had health coverage in 2016, there are three options and you'll pick the first option that states "We all had health insurance all year" (you'll be able to the edit the actual time in a later screen).
  • The nest screen presents you with several different options as to your insurance, you'll click "yes" if any of the options apply to you.
  • The next screen asks you the type of plan you were enrolled in. Choose the option "Obamacare Plan".
  • The next screen asks if you've received a Form 1095-A (you should have been mailed this form by the provider)
  • If you answered "yes" on the prior screen, then the next screen will be where you'll enter the information found on the 1095-A.
  • The next screen asks for to check "all that apply"...you'll check the box for being self-employed.
  • For the next screen you'll have to answer a few questions pertaining to your business that paid the health insurance premiums.
  • Click the Continue/Done button

Edited for form number error.
PMM 2/21/17
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies