Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

sripad

I am on L1A and my wife(not working) and 2 kids on L2. me and family were in US full2018. Can I file Resident Aliens 1040? Also can I file married joint file,and dependt?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
KarenJ
Intuit Alumni

I am on L1A and my wife(not working) and 2 kids on L2. me and family were in US full2018. Can I file Resident Aliens 1040? Also can I file married joint file,and dependt?

Yes, if your wife and children have Individual Taxpayer Identification Numbers (ITINs), you can go ahead and file married filing jointly with TurboTax and claim your children as dependents.

If they do not have an ITIN or SSN , you can apply for  ITINs on Form W-7 with your tax returns.  If your spouse or children are eligible for a SSN, they cannot apply for an ITIN.  Instead, they need to apply for a SSN.

1. Complete Form W-7 - IRS.gov (IRS - W7 Instructions)
  2. Complete your federal and state tax returns using the number 999-88-9999  or similar dummy SSN in place of a Social Security Number.
  3. Print the tax returns and white out the dummy SSNs from the SSN field. Do not attempt to e-file your return.
  4. Write "Applying for ITIN; Application attached" next to the SSN field.
  5. Mail the signed federal return, the completed Form W-7, and all documentation required by the Form W-7 (Alternatively, you may choose to take all this information in-person to a local IRS office for processing.)  
  6. If you need to file a state tax return: Mail the signed state return and a copy of Form W-7 to your state's regular filing address. 
I strongly suggest you make an appointment with the IRS Taxpayer Assistance Center in lieu of mailing your information to the IRS in Austin , Texas.  This is so you do not need to mail their original passports, documents.  You will need to finish and print your return and complete the Form W-7s and documents and bring the documents and your family to the appointment.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies