Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ritalopo

I am not a US Citizen and nor a greencard holder, I do not live in the united states anymore, but i do have an american child do I need to pay taxes?

I am not a US Citizen and nor a greencard holder, I do not live in the united states anymore,
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

I am not a US Citizen and nor a greencard holder, I do not live in the united states anymore, but i do have an american child do I need to pay taxes?

As a non-resident alien, you are only required to file a US tax return if you have US-sourced income.  

Most of the time, wages are considered sourced to where you actually performed the work, even if the employer was based in the US.  And most of the time, capital gains and dividends from stocks and bonds are not US source income even if the company or exchange is in the US.  US source income might include sale of property you owned in the US, or business profits if you are an active participant (not just a shareholder) in a business or partnership.  There is a table here.

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/nonresident-aliens-source-of-income

Lastly, note that if you do have US-source income and don't report and pay tax on it, the IRS may have no way to collect from you, but that will be a mark against you if you ever intend to return to the US. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies