Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I am Indian citizen , Was in canada in work permit from 01 Jan 2023 to 12 AUG 2023 and left canada to USA in L1 visa worked remains of the year. Tax returns

I am Indian citizen with my spouse and kids stayed in canada from 01-Jan-2023 until 12 aug 2023. I was in work permit and had employment income from Canada employer.

then moved to US with family in L1 visa and worked in USA from 12-aug-2023 to 31 - dec -2023 and have an employment in come from US employer.

Please suggest on my tax return and resident details on below questions?

1. do i have to file Canada tax return as resident of canada with canada, USA employment incomes and pay taxes for US income also in canada?

2. DO i need to file US tax return as non-resident only for the US income and claim tax rebate if i paid tax for US income in canada on first question

3. which country should i file first and what are the tax rebate and credits available

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

I am Indian citizen , Was in canada in work permit from 01 Jan 2023 to 12 AUG 2023 and left canada to USA in L1 visa worked remains of the year. Tax returns

Yes, you would file your Canadian return for the time you lived in Canada.  You can contact them here for further assistance as we have no knowledge of the tax code in Canada as far as credits and returns.

You will need to file a non-resident 1040 NR return for the period of time you lived in the US.  Turbo Tax does not prepare non-resident returns but our affiliate at Sprint Tax does. Contact them here.

As a non-resident, you must itemize deductions for the year as the standard deduction can't be claimed. As far as what you can claim in the US, the IRS has listed this in the following document.

Itemized deductions:

• State and local income taxes,
  • Charitable contributions to U.S. non-profit organizations,
  • Casualty and theft losses, from a federally declared disaster, and
  • Other itemized deductions such as mortgage or medical expenses.

Credits:

• Foreign tax credit
  • Child and dependent care credit
  • Retirement savings contributions credit
  • Child tax credit
  • Credit for other dependents
  • Adoption credit
  • Credit for prior-year minimum tax

Please read the document by clicking on the link provided below. There is other information listed there that may be of interest to you. As far as rebates, I am not really sure what you are referring to other than credits.

Nonresident Alien — Figuring Your Tax

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you Very much DaveF1006. My query is more about canada return, do i need to show my income from Canada employment / income only during my stay in canada for the return. I am hearing that i have to report USA empoyment income also which is earned in USA after i moved out of canada. 

I have already paid / paying the tax in USA for my employment.

thanks

Velmurugan

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

Your only reporting requirement for your non-resident 1040 NR is to report he USA income only. I am not sure what the reporting requirement is for Canada. You would need to contact them via of the link I provided in my previous post.

@dvelmurugan78 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies