Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

rkpreece

I am getting a value in line 25c Form 1040-SR (Other withholding) that I did not explicitly enter. Does anyone know where that value would come from?

According to the instructions, the value should come from form W-2G, Schedule K-1, or excess Medicare Tax withholding, none of which apply to my case.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

12 Replies
ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

I am getting a value in line 25c Form 1040-SR (Other withholding) that I did not explicitly enter. Does anyone know where that value would come from?

If you did not enter any withholding from any form, go back over your entries and make sure you didn't accidentally include it.

ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

If you did not enter any withholding from any form, go back over your entries and make sure you didn't accidentally include it.

rkpreece

Thanks for your suggestion, ColeenD3. I did double check on the forms that were listed in my question. The W-2G and K-1 forms do not exist in my return (I created then deleted the forms just to make sure). I have no W-2 income, so the excess Medicare withholding likewise does not exist.  As far as I can tell, there is no entry on my part that corresponds to the value in the printed 1040.

After a lot of ticking & tacking I discovered that the employer overwithheld medicare tax . Turbo found it & issued the taxpayer a credit on line 25C . Took me a while . Bud Falcon

Check if employer overwithheld medicare or social security . bud Falcon

When you enter your amounts from your W-2 form for Medicare wages, sometimes employers over withhold Medicare taxes. Turbo Tax automatically figure the amount over withheld and credits it back to you on line 25c. Multiply your Medicare taxes withheld on your W-2 by .0145 (the correct percentage to withhold). If you see that your amount withheld is more than that, that should be the amount on line 25c.

This was spot on - thank you so much!!!  I was just about to spend 4 hours combing thru my return because for the life of me I had no idea.  I know i didnt add it and the IRS was asking me about it!!!  

You're the man/woman!!!

Bill934

I am also getting a 4100.00 value on my line 25C. I check everything no mistakes. Why am I getting this value?

Bill934

I am getting value on line 25C checked everything can't figure it. Im self employed no w-2s.

The computation for line 25c is shown on form 8952, check if yu have that form showing on your list of forms you're using.

JohnW152
Expert Alumni

The amount on Line 25c can come from several places.

According to Line 25c -- Other Forms in the Form 1040 (2022) Instructions:

Include on line 25c any federal income tax withheld on your Form(s) W-2G. The amount withheld should be shown in box 4. Attach Form(s) W-2G to the front of your return if federal income tax was withheld.

If you had Additional Medicare Tax withheld, include the amount shown on Form 8959, line 24, in the total on line 25c. Attach Form 8959.

Include on line 25c any federal income tax withheld that is shown on a Schedule K-1.

Also include on line 25c any tax withheld that is shown on Form 1042-S, Form 8805, or Form 8288-A. You should attach the form to your return to claim a credit for the withholding.

@Bill934 

jinwes1

Anyone find a reason how this field was auto entered?  I also certainly did not made this entry.

I received a notice from IRS on this exact issue, and owe this amount back with interest.

It appears the recent update fixed this issue, but the tax had already been filed last year.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies