Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

m_rudge

I am filing for my husband and I, as well as our 2 children. I did not work in 2016. Should we file joint married, or should he claim me as a dependent?

In a past year, we filed through an accountant before we were married, but living together, and had children as dependents. In that filing year, the accountant advised that he claim me as a dependent, because I made less than a specific amount of money. Now that we are married, and I did not have any employment in the year, is it the same type of situation? I am unsure of the difference between filing joint with only one income and 2 dependents (children) and the adult employed filing as head of household with 3 dependents 9wife and 2 children). Can anyone shed some light on the differences and anyone have advise? Thank you so very much!
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
RichardG

I am filing for my husband and I, as well as our 2 children. I did not work in 2016. Should we file joint married, or should he claim me as a dependent?

It's rarely beneficial for a married couple to file separate tax returns.  By filing a joint return, you are claiming yourself on the return with your husband.  The difference now is that married couples forfeit certain tax benefits be filing separate returns.  I encourage you to file a joint return with your husband.  Please read on for more information.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3288477

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies