dnewhouse

I am filing a 1099-MISC for a subcontractor. Can I use my SSN for "Payer's TIN"?

I am receiving a 1099-MISC myself but do not have an EIN.

ColeenD3

Yes, but you may want to get an EIN so you don't have to give access to your number.

You can apply for your EIN by fax, phone or mail; however, the IRS prefers that you submit your application online. When you do, you can receive your EIN immediately after completing the short application. Go to the IRS website to access the EIN Assistant page and click on “Begin Application” at the bottom to get started.

ColeenD3

dnewhouse

Thanks ColeenD3. Can I file for an EIN now and still use it for a 2019 1099-MISC?

LindaB1993

You should be able to use the EIN immediately and for filing the Forms 1099-Misc for 2019 if the business was in operation during 2019.

When you apply for the EIN on the IRS website, the SS-4 application ask for the starting date of the business.  If you're started a new business, enter the start date of the business. If the business you acquired is already operating, enter the date you acquired the business.