Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

hugol

I am divorced and until now filed as Head of Household, with 2 dependent . This year my oldest is in college education (1098-T). Should my ex-wife claim her as dependt?

My daughter has done her FAFSA application using her mother. Is her mother required to add my daughter as a dependent?

If my ex-wife declares my oldest daughter as a dependent, and I will still have my youngest, can I still fill as Head of Household?

Thank you for your help
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I am divorced and until now filed as Head of Household, with 2 dependent . This year my oldest is in college education (1098-T). Should my ex-wife claim her as dependt?

Yes, if you are still maintaining a home for one of your children you can still file as Head of Household if nothing else changed and you otherwise qualify.

As for who should claim your daughter in college...This will depend on who supports her and who she lives with.  In order to claim a child as a dependent, they must live with you for over 6 months.  If she lived with you for more than 6 months and not her mother than you would still claim her for tax purposes. If she lived with you both equally then you can decide between the 2 of you who claim her. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Yes, if you are still maintaining a home for one of your children you can still file as Head of Household if nothing else changed and you otherwise qualify.

As for who should claim your daughter in college...This will depend on who supports her and who she lives with.  In order to claim a child as a dependent, they must live with you for over 6 months.  If she lived with you for more than 6 months and not her mother than you would still claim her for tax purposes. If she lived with you both equally then you can decide between the 2 of you who claim her. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
hugol

In Turbo Tax, assuming my ex wife uses the 1098-T, how can I enter the boarding/room expenses so they act as qualified expenses against the money I withdrew from a 529 (1099-Q)? It doesn't seem possible.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies