Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Wendy Dembeck
Returning Member

I am a board member who attended a convention and brought back information to the chapter. It was the Hearing Loss Association of America convention. Is the convention attendance a tax deduction.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
AnnetteB6
Expert Alumni

I am a board member who attended a convention and brought back information to the chapter. It was the Hearing Loss Association of America convention. Is the convention attendance a tax deduction.

The answer will depend on whether the Hearing Loss Association of America is a qualified charitable organization and whether you attended the convention as a selected delegate.  

IRS Publication 526 Charitable Contributions says this about attending conventions:

If a qualified organization selects you to attend a convention as its representative, you can deduct your unreimbursed expenses for travel, including reasonable amounts for meals and lodging, while away from home overnight for the convention. 

You can't deduct personal expenses for sightseeing, fishing parties, theater tickets, or nightclubs. You also can't deduct travel, meals and lodging, and other expenses for your spouse or children. 

You can't deduct your travel expenses in attending a church convention if you go only as a member of your church rather than as a chosen representative. You can, however, deduct unreimbursed expenses that are directly connected with giving services for your church during the convention.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Wendy Dembeck
Returning Member

Thank you. What if you are not an employee? I am a board member of a chapter of the Hearing Loss Association of America. While at the convention, I lined up speakers and collected information on new tech developments, all of which I brought back to the chapter. If this is permissible, where would I enter this on TurboTax?  Thank you.

MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

You don't have to be an employee of the organization; just it's designated representative at the convention.

Enter your travel expenses under Deductions & Credits > Charitable Donations > Mileage and Travel Expenses

This is reported on Schedule A for Itemized Deductions.

Here's more info from the IRS on Charity-Related Travel. 

@Wendy Dembeck 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies