Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jess2311

I accidentally filed 1040 instead 1040NR. I am an F1 visa studnet.

I accidentally filed form 1040 instead of 1040NR, but I am on an F1 student visa. I need to amend my form to 1040NR, but I'm not sure how to do it since there's no option available. I have already received my federal tax return, which was accepted, and am yet to receive my state tax return. If anyone knows how to amend from 1040 to 1040NR on TURBOTAX, please guide me. Thank you!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

If you incorrectly filed Form 1040 and you should have filed Form 1040-NR instead, you will have to file an amended return, Form 1040-X, and attach your Form 1040-NR tax return. You cannot do this with TurboTax. Follow the instructions under "Resident and nonresident aliens" on page 2 of the IRS Instructions for Form 1040-X.

TurboTax does not support Form 1040-NR. TurboTax has a partnership with Sprintax to prepare a Form 1040-NR federal tax return and corresponding state tax return for certain categories of nonresident aliens - international students, scholars, and non-resident foreign professionals. Click this link for the details of who can use Sprintax, and to get started.

jess2311

oh okay, Thank you! So is it possible for me to fill up on sprintax and generate 1040NR document, print it out and mail it along with https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1040x.pdf ?

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

@jess2311 wrote:

oh okay, Thank you! So is it possible for me to fill up on sprintax and generate 1040NR document, print it out and mail it along with https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1040x.pdf ?

I'm not familiar with Sprintax, but it appears that you will be able to do that. If you want to make sure, create a Sprintax account and contact their chat support.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies