Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Husband started job in TX in January, but family stated in MN to sell home until March. Should dates of residency overlap, match job, or match home sell/purchase?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
Carl
Level 15

Husband started job in TX in January, but family stated in MN to sell home until March. Should dates of residency overlap, match job, or match home sell/purchase?

For taxes, residency in MN can end any day "AFTER" the last day money was physically earned in MN.

Since TX does not tax personal income, start of residency in TX is irrelevant. But it can NOT be the same day or before the last day of MN residency.

Basically, you'll be filing a part-year resident return for MN so that you don't pay that state taxes on money earned in TX.

Thanks. @Carl  That helps. A little more detail:

We are struggling with the Tax and Deductuion Worksheet that calculates the sales tax paid in each state. How do we reconcile that we were paying sales tax in two states simultaneously? TurboTax is flagging it as an error.

Carl
Level 15

How do we reconcile that we were paying sales tax in two states simultaneously?

This is gonna sound "wrong", but bear with me.

You can't pay sales tax in two states "simultaneously". It's physically impossible to be in both states "simultaneously".

Assuming you're letting the program figure your sales tax deduction for each state, you have to ensure you tell the program two pecies of information for each state.

First is the date range you earned income in each state. Since you moved, those dates can't overlap.

Second, the income earned in each state. The total of those two incomes can not exceed your total earned for the tax year either.

Now the above is a wild guess, as I don't know exactly what error you're getting or where in the program you're getting the error. (On the final review I would expect, but I could be wrong)

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies