turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Pran9
Returning Member

HSA overcontribution 2023

Turbo Tax showed I overcontributed to my HSA while I checked with my financial institution and confirmed I had not. I had merged my HSA accounts and it would still not add up to the maximum limit. Tried filing it through Tax Slayer and there too it did not give the overcontribution message. I feel either we do not have enough access while filing or the algorithm needs to be checked. Tried clearing the forms and redoing it multiple times as suggested in the one of the discussions. I ended opting for the full service from Turbo Tax since there isnt any support or contact available to request to check in the free and lower versions and I wanted to be sure it is filed correctly.  It wasn't overcontributed afterall. Something to think of while considering Turbo Tax in future. Overall not so good experience.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

First: If you make employee contributions through payroll, they are only reported on your W-2, both employee and employer are only on your W-2.  When you are asked later in the program if you made extra contributions, ONLY enter any extra out of pocket contributions you made directly to the bank, do not enter your voluntary payroll contributions again.

Second, you must indicate in the program that you had qualifying HDHP coverage for the entire year, or you must check boxes for each month as to whether you were covered by self HDHP, family HDHP, or other coverage.  Your eligibility depends on your coverage, which your HSA bank does not know.  

Pran9
Returning Member

Hope that would have fixed my issue. I cannot try since I've already filed it. Thanks for the suggestion.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies