Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

HSA & MEDICARE

I do my own taxes, but have run up against a toughie.

My wife recently passed away.  I am 66 years old as of August 2020.  Social Security said that I am eligible for survivors benefits of $932/month.  But, to accept those benefits, I must sign up for Medicare.  I currently work (and will continue to work) for a company with 100,000 employees and have a Health Savings Account (HSA) and high deductible health plan (HDHP).  According to the IRS & Medicare, I can't sign up with Medicare unless I remove 6 months of contributions to the HSA account.  And therefore, I cannot accept the survivor's benefit because it automatically signs me up for Medicare.  My question is what are the steps to legally remove this money from my HSA so I can accept the SS benefit and sign up for Medicare?

I have stopped all contributions as of March, and must somehow remove my contributions, and my employer's contributions for the last 6 months.  Medicare Part A has a gotcha: I receive up to six months of retroactive coverage, not going back farther than my initial month of eligibility. If I do not stop HSA contributions at least six months before Medicare enrollment, I will incur tax penalties as long as the contributions exist.

In this chart, I forgot to think about the $1200 my employer contributed last year.  So that is another $300 ($100/month for 3 months) that must be removed.  Which will be hard, because the balance in the HSA is $2473.31.  And so I would need to remove $1269.28 (my 6 month contributions) + 1200 (my employer's 2021 contribution) + 300 (my employer's 2020 contribution for 3 months) = $2,769.28.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies