Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

HSA issue starting from last year

2nd year with an HSA and I now see that I messed up last years return.  We did not contribute more (excess contribution) but I entered info incorrectly. On the 8889 line 2, i didnt realize that the contribution was already entered from my w2 so i entered the amount again. Going back i now see that it says "do not include employer contributions". I made no personal contributions, they were payroll only. Am i thinking that correctly? and if so, i assume i need to do an amended return for last year. And i also paid extra tax on the "excess contribution" that i did not make.

So for this year, its asking me for my excess contribution from last year from the 5329 of the return. That should be zero but of course, it isnt. For this year return, should i put 0 knowing that i need to file an amended return for last year by mail or should i just show the amount, then file, then do two amended returns?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
BillM223
Expert Alumni

HSA issue starting from last year

It would be easier (for me, anyway) to do the following:

1. File an extension for the 2023 return. I assume that you can figure out what you will owe approximately.

2. Get what you need to do your 2022 amendment. (you don't need to wait to do this after you file the extension)

3. Reimport your 2022 return to 2023 (so the excess carryover won't be there any longer to mess up the 2023 return).

4. File your 2023 return, cleanly.

Any questions?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies