Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

HSA Excess Contribution withdrawn before the deadline

In 2022, my employer made a contribution to my HSA of $100, which is what shows on line 9 of form 8889 for 2022. However, I was not HDHP-covered at all that year 2022, so my allowed contribution for the year was $0. TurboTax correctly calculated that $100 was an excess contribution and recommended that I withdraw it by April 15th, 2023, which I did.

The $100 then appeared on Schedule 1 Part 1 8f "Income from Form 8889" for 2022. This also seems correct to me, because the $100 was paid to me and did not qualify as a non-taxable HSA contribution.

Note: From the above, it looks like I was taxed on the $100 during the 2022 tax year, when the $100 was paid to me.

Now I'm preparing my 2023 taxes and I have a 1099-SA from the HSA custodian showing that I took out $100 in 2023. It has Distribution Code 1 (Normal Distribution). Naturally, when I enter this form into TurboTax, my taxable income goes up because it sees the $100 as a taxable distribution.

What I expected: Since the $100 was already part of my 2022 taxable income, the $100 I withdrew from my HSA already had income tax paid on it for 2022, so it should not be taxable in 2023, right?

I could enter it with Distribution Code 2 (Excess contributions) and then it doesn't add it to my taxable income, but this would be using a different code from what is on the form.

What is the correct way to resolve this?

Thanks 🙂

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

did you tell the trustee you were withdrawing an excess contribution which is crucial? what about any earnings on the $100. contact the custodian/trustee and see if you can get the code changed to 2. 

View solution in original post

2 Replies

did you tell the trustee you were withdrawing an excess contribution which is crucial? what about any earnings on the $100. contact the custodian/trustee and see if you can get the code changed to 2. 

Oh yeah, that makes sense. They have a special form for requesting withdrawals of excess contributions, which I didn't know about until now. It was processed as a normal distribution, which definitely was not what I intended.

That same amount ($100) shows up on my W-2 from 2022 in box 12 with code W, so my withdrawal doesn't seem to account for any profits/losses on the $100, which aligns with it being a normal distribution.

I will contact the custodian and see if they offer any options. Thanks!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies