turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jq12
Level 1

HSA Distribution Return

Hello,

I have an HSA through my employer for about a decade now. Back in 2020, the health insurance companies were waiving co-pays for some services, but my medical provider had my HSA card on file for auto-pay, so they kept charging me for each visit for months. 

The medical provider would like to send me a refund check for the total amount overcharged to my HSA in 2024. How do I handle this from a tax perspective? I have other qualified, out of pocket medical expenses that I paid using personal funds (not the HSA) between 2022 and 2024 that exceed the refund amount I will receive. Will these paid out of pocket expenses offset the refund I will receive and I wouldn't have to report the HSA refund as a taxable event? How do you recommend I handle this situation. Thank you in advance!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
BillM223
Expert Alumni

HSA Distribution Return

"Will these paid out of pocket expenses offset the refund I will receive and I wouldn't have to report the HSA refund as a taxable event?"

Yes, just document what happened - the refunds, and each payment for the out-of-pocket expenses, in case anyone ever asks. 

If you would not have had these out-of-pocket expenses, you could have filed a Mistaken Distribution request for the 2023 amount amounts. I don't think an HSA custodian would allow such a process for 2022 and before.

So it looks like it was a good thing that you had these out-of-pocket expenses.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies