Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

HSA contributions won't let me continue

I am trying to file my taxes for this year. I have been employed since february and my job allows me to have my own HDHP with an HSA. However I am still a student, I'm 21, live at home and have everything else of my living expenses paid for by my parents. So I still claim to be a dependent. I try to report my HSA contributions from my employer but cannot proceed with filing because I claim to be on a self-only plan. I was under my parents plan until March when I had my own. However Turbo-Tax doesn't allow me to select any option under my HSA for the months march-dec 2023. How do I progress past this despite having an HSA and being a dependent.

Screenshot 2024-03-30 144510.jpg

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
BillM223
Expert Alumni

HSA contributions won't let me continue

1. Were you capable of being claimed as a dependent for all year (you don't do dependent month by month)? If so, you are not eligible to make any contributions to your HSA at any point during the year.

2. When you are not under HDHP coverage with no conflicting elements, like Medicare, or other employer insurance, or being a dependent, then you enter Self or Family (depending on what HDHP you have), and NONE in every other case (except when you have Medicare).

3. Since you can be claimed as a dependent for the year (whether or not you actually are), when you see the question, "Was [name] covered by a High Deductible Health Plan (HDHP) in 2023?", answer "No, I did not have coverage." The fact that you had an HSA is irrelevant, as well as the fact that you had HDHP coverage.

4. If you say "No, I did not have coverage", you won't be asked for month by month coverage.

5. The only catch will be that during the Federal Review, TurboTax will get confused on why you are in the form 8889 when you don't have any HDHP coverage. The Review then asks you what entry do you want to put on line 1: Self or Family?

6. Since you have already said that you had no coverage, entering Self won't hurt anything, but it will get you past this Review question.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies