Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

6yee
Level 2

How to use Annualized Income Installment Method for my Massachusetts state tax?

I unexpectedly received a large amount of income in 12/2021.  I used Annualized Income Installment Method for my Federal tax to eliminate the underpayment penalty.  It did not get transferred to my Massachusetts state Tax.  How can I annualize income in MA state tax?  I cannot find the section in my TurboTax Deluxe.  

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
HelenC12
Expert Alumni

It appears MA doesn't have a way to annualize your income like the federal return. However, MA has some exceptions that may apply to you. There is an exception if "My estimated payments and withholding for 2021 equal or exceed my 2020 tax (I filed a 2020 return for an entire year)". To get to that screen, see the steps below.

1. Log back into TurboTax and go to your MA state return.
  2. Continue with the onscreen interview.
  3. On the MA Underpayment Penalty screen, select Exceptions. Note: Don't choose Calculate. If you doMA will calculate the penalty for you.
  4. Continue with the onscreen interview until you get to the Underpayment Penalty Exceptions screen.
  5. Select My estimated payments and withholding for 2021 equal or exceed my 2020 tax (I filed a 2020 return for an entire year) and Continue
  6. If you meet this exception to the underpayment penalty, you do not owe any penalty for underpayment of estimated tax. 
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
6yee
Level 2

Thanks for your help.  I cannot find the MA Underpayment Penalty screen.  I finally went into Form M-2210 and checked off an Exception, and the penalty went away.  

"It appears MA doesn't have a way to annualize your income like the federal return."

I don't think this is correct.  Form M-2210 Part 3 has space to annualize your income. 
Similar to 6yee, I just finished with Turbotax Home & Business 2022 and the step-by-step method didn't give me the option to annualize for MA, and none of my work annualizing my income on my federal return transferred over.

BillM223
Expert Alumni

When I step through the MA interview in Home & Business, TurboTax tells me that I have an underpayment penalty of $50. On the same screen, TurboTax asks, "Do you wish to use the annualization method to figure out your tax penalty?" Answer Yes.

You should see the next screen of "Annualized Income", where you can enter the income amounts to test for the exception.

I am guessing that there is some arrangement of data causes TurboTax not to show you this screen, because it is certainly there.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I went through my whole MA return again, and I was never prompted to annualize. The first mention of the $1 penalty is towards the bottom of the "Your Massachusetts Bottom Line" screen under "Other Items". "some arrangement of data" lol
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies