Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

doingtaxes15
Returning Member

How to report HSA Excess Contribution? W-2 and 1099-SA Not Updated

I had a paycheck on 12/29/23 and employer put $100 of this towards my HSA pre-tax. On 1/2/24, $100 of this paycheck deposited to my HSA Account and put me $100 over the 2023 contribution limit of $3850.

I verified these numbers were accurate by checking my pay stubs & HSA account statements. In my 5498-SA, there's a line that states "Total HSA contributions made in 2024 for 2023" = $100

I submitted the form to remove this HSA excess distribution and it was removed on 3/27/24. It was never invested so shouldn't have made any earnings. My W-2 and 1099-SA do not show this HSA excess contribution. I don't have an updated W-2 or 1099-SA from my employer or HSA provider.

What do I report on my 2024 Tax Return in Turbotax? When I enter the 1099-SA should I just put "0.00" in Box 2 - Earnings on excess contributions & choose "2-Excess Distribution" in Box 3 despite not receiving any tax forms that state this? If I do that, I get this question "Tell us if your excess HSA/MSA contribution was made by your employer and deducted from the wages in Box 1 of W-2". Should I select "Yes"? Or am I on the wrong track entirely?

Help appreciated. I've read nearly all the posts on here and I'm still confused...

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
KrisD15
Expert Alumni

If your W-2 does not show the excess, you don't need to do anything about it.

My guess is that Payroll was aware that the excess was made but corrected and therefore adjusted the W-2. 

You say you received a 1099-SA, what does that report? 

If that reports distributions you really had made, and has no reference to the excess contribution, don't do anything except report how much of your distributions were used for qualified purchases. 

In other words, if the excess contribution was correct before April 15th, it's as if it never happened. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
doingtaxes15
Returning Member

Thanks! The 1099-SA I received shows just the distributions I made to pay medical expenses and Box 3 is marked as 1 (so no excess contribution marked)

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies