Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How to Pay taxes on IRS site

My wife and I did taxes last year as married filing jointly. This year we are filing separately. She needs to file an extension and pay her estimated taxes to complete. When you go on the IRS site to pay it asks for verification of identity. She selects 2021 and it say to enter information from you filing that year and my name is the main person on it. How is she to pay her tax estimate if it all my information and I’ve already completed and filed taxes for this year. 

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
MaryK4
Expert Alumni

You can use the TurboTax easy extension and file in her name only and make payment.  File IRS Tax Extension for Federal Taxes - TurboTax

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Yes we did that. Selected the pay on irs website. Start to go through that process and it asks to verify identity. Select a year to verify from and select 2021. We filed together that year and it says to fill in the information for the primary person which is me not her. How are they supposed to know the payment is for her with all my information in there?

go to IRS.gov/payments

select EXTENTION

She will enter her name, SSN and date of birth. she will get a confirmation for her records.

Any small amount will do.
But, you must bring your total tax paid by Tax Day up to 90% of your final tax to stay away from penalty.

@MasterFalcon2  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies