Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Richard2841
Returning Member

How to import a K-1 into Turbotax using taxpackagesupport.com

Most k-1's are available on  taxpackagesupport.com for download to Turbotax. Go there, create an account, navigate to the list and select your issue. You may have to verify your identity. In most cases you will have the K-1 from your broker and you can input the specific account number from that K-1.
Entering K-1 info from taxpackagesupport.com directly into Turbotax:
First, determine if the particular file you want to download to turbotax is indeed available for that function  (most of them are but I had one that was not).  If you see three vertical dots to the right of the file line, click those dots and you will see the option to download the file to turbotax. Choose that option and then click download.  This action does not download the file directly into turbotax. It only downloads it into your desktop program's download folder.  And It will not name the file, it will only give it a number such as “turbotax-2.txf” (note the hyphen). If you want to clearly identify the file,  immediately go to your downloads folder and rename it by substituting only the number with a name that will easily identify it for later use, for example, “turbotax-name.txf”. Okay, so now you’ve got the txf file in your downloads folder.

To import the TXF file into Turbotax-- I have a Mac and am using the Desktop version.
Make sure Turbotax is open. 
Click on the dropdown File menu at the very top left of your screen and choose “Import,” then choose "From TXF file."  
Assuming you have turbotax already open, a screen will pop up on Turbotax asking you where to get the tax information. Click "choose a file." Go to your downloads folder and choose the file you want to download. For further help, check out Jason Knott's great video on you tube: TurboTax 2022 Form 1040 - Publicly Traded Investment (PTP) Schedule K-1.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

1) download the TurboTax file (.txf) from TaxPackage Support (not all make a Turbotax tax package available) and you should also download the entire PDF of the tax package so you can read the cover letter which will provide you with needed info especially as to k-3. the PDF is not the Turbotax file. save the .txf file to a place where you can locate it later.

2) open your Turbotax return

3) from the file tab select import -> from accounting software

4) select other financial software (TXF file)

5) continue

6) browse for the txf file

7) select it with mouse -> open

😎 import now

only 2022 k-1's are available for import

note that there may be additional work that has to be done on the k-1 after import.

Richard2841
Returning Member

Thanks for posting. Yes, it's good to see this procedure is finally getting out there. For a while, it was quite obscure (at least to me). After downloading to my computer's download folder and from there importing it into TT, I go straight to "Forms" and choose the actual worksheet itself to check and verify all information with my broker-delivered K-1 (or the one you can download and print from taxpackage).  

Good day

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies