Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How to handle sales of personal and gifted items on eBay

Hello,

In 2021 I was living at home with my parents (I was 29 at the time). They decided they were going to sell their house. In preparation for packing and moving, I sold some of my personal items that I no longer used on eBay. To help them downsize, my parents also let me sell some of their things in the house that they no longer wanted on eBay and keep the proceeds. I received a 1099-K for 2021 for approx. $4000 for 125 transactions between May and December 2021 (Box 1a. Gross amount of payment card / third party network transactions).

My question is what is the appropriate/best way to handle this situation from a tax return perspective? My understanding is that what I did was not classified as a "hobby" (I was not doing it as a recreational pursuit or for the love of it). I guess that leaves the possibilities of going either the Schedule D route (Capital Gains and Losses) or the Schedule C self-employed business route, or some combination of the two?

If I was just selling personal things, I would probably just use Schedule D to report the capital gains for the limited number of items that I sold for more than I paid or got for free.  For many of the personal items I sold, I can document the basis with receipts from when I purchased them, and in most cases sold the items for less than the basis (as is generally the case with items sold at a garage sale or the online equivalent of a garage sale). I understand that capital losses are not recognized for used personal items.  

It seems a little more complicated to me, though, when having to as well deal with the items my parents didn't want and let me sell -- I guess these items were "gifted" to me and then I sold them. In which case, from a Schedule D capital gains/losses perspective, my basis is what their adjusted basis was. However they don't have any documentation of what they paid for these items (mostly random things like old skis, old bike racks, lamps, clothing, etc.). So if I were to go the Schedule D route for these items, I would likely claim $0 basis to be safe. But with 50-75 items it's not like I could list them all individually, so could I lump them all together as one long-term capital gain? (they were all things my parents had for > 1 year) Or should I go the Schedule C route? (either to account for just the sales of my parents things, or for everything I sold?) I don't know if I'd really classify what I did as a "business" since it was more of a one-off way of selling things that I and my parents no longer wanted, and it's not like I was buying items and then re-selling them. However, I was getting items from my parents for "free" that I planned on selling, so would this be considered some sort of temporary short-term self-employment business?

Thanks for any assistance/advice in sorting this out! I think I have some grasp on it but it's all a little confusing to me.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
DawnC
Expert Alumni

Schedule D is the way to go; it is not a business endeavor.   Your basis in the items is the original price you paid (or your parents) +/- adjustments.   Your parents' items are considered gifts to you and you use the same basis (their cost) for your sale of those items or FMV, depending on whether you have a gain or loss.   See basis of gifted property - IRS.   $0 is safe, but no need to overpay tax if you have reasonable records of basis.  

You owe capital gains tax on any items you made a profit on.   And you can't take a loss on any sale of personal items.   Keep details of the basis (original costs) amounts in case of an inquiry.    You seem to have all of that covered 😉   As long as you pay the gains you owe and do not deduct the losses, you can group things together to reduce your data entry - just make sure you can explain your basis figures if asked.   

This FAQ has alternate reporting instructions - I use Schedule D and mark everything as Personal Items, but the net result is the same as long as there are no collectibles.   

Here are the instructions for Schedule D reporting.   This method requires the desktop software, or Premier Online (or higher).   The miscellaneous method used in the FAQ above can be used in Deluxe Online or the desktop software.  

I don't usually tell people to do the miscellaneous route because losses get taken when they shouldn't.   But as long as you understand that rule, no losses on personal property, you can feel confident using either method - just keep detailed records.     

Gifted basis

The original purchase price is considered to be what the giver (your parents) — not you — paid for it.

If you received a $100 espresso machine as a wedding gift and later sold it for $25, there's nothing to report.

On the other hand, if you sold your espresso machine for $250, you'd report the $150 profit as an investment sale ($250 selling price minus the $100 purchase price paid by the giver). 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@DawnC. OK. Great. Thanks for that information! I think I will try to use Schedule D then. If I use Schedule D Capital Gains then can I lump the sale of several long-term capital gain items together as one line item, or do I have to enter 50+ things individually? I guess the only thing  would be that the eBay sales closed on different dates, if that is an issue.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies