Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How to handle Health Coverage Questions?

Hello again. I am working on the Health Coverage section of my taxes now. For the entirety of 2019 I had coverage through the Healthcare Marketplace. However, in early October 2019 I was hired on by a staffing agency who provided me the opportunity to enroll in a Minimum Essential Coverage plan. According to the paperwork for this MEC plan, the plan would not cover medical services and is only "for preventive services such as immunization and routine health screening". As a result, I did not enroll in the plan, and I just stayed in the health insurance plan I had been in through the Healthcare Marketplace.

As I'm working on my taxes now, it's asking me to enter the information in boxes 33A, 33B, and 33C from my 1095-A. However, it says that I should put a zero for the Premium Amount and SLCSP Amount if I was eligible for Minimum Essential Coverage outside the marketplace. How should I handle this? I just spoke with a rep at the company that handles the benefits, and it sounds like the earliest I could have had coverage had I enrolled right away would have been in late October or early November. Should I put a zero in 33A, or should I put the actual amount I paid?

Thank you for your assistance.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Enter the 1095 - A exactly as it's written. Do not change anything.

BillM223
Expert Alumni

"According to the paperwork for this MEC plan, the plan would not cover medical services and is only "for preventive services such as immunization and routine health screening"."

This does not sound like minimum essential coverage as defined by the Affordable Care Act in any case, no matter what they called it.

Minimum essential coverage is precisely for things like medical services, and so on.

I would do what Critter suggests and just enter your 1095-A as is, and ignore this other issue.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I think the rep said that it was an ACA-compliant MEC, but it just seemed ridiculous to me too since it said it wouldn't cover medical services other than preventive stuff, immunizations, and screenings. Thank you both very much for the responses! @BillM223 @Critter 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies