Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How to go about filing taxes for a 1099-G while waiting for an unemployment appeal

Hi there, so I'm currently waiting on a hearing for an unemployment appeal concerning an overpayment discrepancy. So the Form 1099-G I was sent is adjusted for the overpayment, and I'm not sure if I'll get the hearing before tax day and be able to get it adjusted. How should I go about this? Should I try to get an extension, or amend my taxes later should the appeal go through at a later time, or something else? Thanks for any help. -Dave

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

How to go about filing taxes for a 1099-G while waiting for an unemployment appeal

Both options will be correct.  if you file an extension and owe taxes, then you will need to pay the amount due by April 15 or a later date if filing and payment due date is extended again this year.  An extension gives you more time to prepare your return, but it does not give you more time to pay.

If you file an extension, you can mark that you will pay on the due date.  Then you will not have to worry about filing until October, but you will need to pay any amount due.

If you have a return coming, then you can just file an extension, or you can file your return and then amend after your hearing when everything is resolved.

You generally must file an amended return within three years of the date you filed the original return or within two years after the date you paid the tax, whichever is later.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies