Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How to get code L on Form 8949 in TurboTax 2023?

In past TurboTax years, I was able to assign code L on Form 8949 for liquidation distributions that I could not report a loss yet. This was done by checking a box in “Select any less common adjustments that apply” that said “Any loss from this sale is not deductible for reasons other than disallowed wash sale...” By assigning code L to the distribution, the loss was “zero’ed out” by an adjustment in column g, and resulted in 0 in column h (Gain or Loss). However this section and option appears to be removed from TurboTax 2023.

I can in TurboTax 2023 assign code W (wash sale) to the distribution, to zero out the loss. But the distribution is not a wash sale by definition…

Please advise.

(Reason I can not report loss: Distributions less than basis. If the total liquidating distributions you receive are less than the basis of your stock, you may have a capital loss. You can report a capital loss only after you have received the final distribution in liquidation that results in the redemption or cancellation of the stock.)

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
DianeW777
Expert Alumni

You are correct in the reporting of your liquidating distributions. I do see that Code L is still active for IRS, however you have the ability to adjust the cost basis so that you can change it to the amount of the distribution which would zero out the loss for this year. Keep track of the basis you have used up so far and until you do receive the final liquidating distribution.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you @DianeW777 for the confirmation on reporting liquidation distributions and a work-around for 2023. It's unfortunate TurboTax removed this section; it worked well for this situation in prior years. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies