Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How to fix rental depreciation problem

Hi there, 

My dad is getting older and has been behind on doing his taxes , he has a few small rental houses that recently have been fully depreciated or close to it.  Several years ago he refinanced , took money out and remodeled the property completely.   Under depreciation how would I start this over?  I can click and select "residential real estate" and place something into service which is the remodel, is this what I do?   In this case if it asks what the prior depreciation is I can put $0 ?    Is this new deprecation a line item under "your property assets"  and list the remodel there?

Also, before the remodel he owed about $84k on the mortgage.  Afterward he got a loan and paid off that old loan and took  the balance to do the remodel and now owes $193k.    So the remodel cost about $109k in 2020.  He started the remodel in Jan of 2020 so is that the date "placed into service" or the date of the loan which is 12/29/2020?  He started the remodel using his own building materials and credit lines before he got the loan so its a bit confusing on how to enter that in TT.

Thank you!

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
M-MTax
Level 10

The total cost of the remodel......improvement.....is depreciated over 27.5 years the same as the underlying real estate.

M-MTax
Level 10

The depreciation starts as soon as the improvement is placed in service.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies