turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How to find CALIFORNIA capital loss carryover for 2022?

How do I find this? I didn't file through TurboTax for 2022.

Please see attached image. Will my answer for the CA capital loss carryover be 0 because on my tax return it shows 305 and it isn't a loss (negative number)? Is there any calculations I have to do?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

How to find CALIFORNIA capital loss carryover for 2022?

It sounds like you are trying to find the California capital loss carryover from your 2022 tax return into your 2023 tax return.

If so, you will be able to find this information on your 2022 California Capital Loss Carryover worksheet from your copy of your prior year state tax return. Scroll down to the bottom of the link to determine the amount of your carryover to 2023.

Once you have confirmed the California capital loss carryover amount from 2022, you can then verify what is currently entered in TurboTax and then correct the carryover if needed.  

1. To check this, click on Forms on the top right of the program if you are in the desktop version of the program.  
  2. Scroll on the left panel to California and scroll down to Sch D Wk to open the California Carryover Worksheet.  
  3. Scroll down to Line 9a.  If your carryovers have pulled through, you will see an amount on this line and will not have to enter anything in the interview section.
  4. However, if Line 9a is blank, go ahead and select Step-by-Step on the top right of the program and enter the amounts on the screen titled Capital Loss Carryover from 2022 in the state interview screens.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies