kamekame1

How to file New York State return if my spouse is non resident alien and he doesn't have SSN

I assume I should write "Nonresident Alien" on the paper and file it by mail in such case, but the instruction on Turbotax says below.

"Filing your return on paper is not recommended. If it is necessary to file a paper return, do not write on the return. Only signatures are allowed. Other handwritten information will not be used in tax computation or for processing your return."

The problem is I need to write "NRA" by hand because we can add only numbers for SSN on Turbotax.

That would be great if I could know whether it's no problem to ignore the instruction and or not.

MaryM428

You are correct.  Even though New York state says they do not accept paper returns, they will accept your mailed return in this case.

MaryM428

kamekame1

Thanks so much for your prompt reply. This is really great help for me!