turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How to enter to Turbotax for withdraw of excess Roth IRA contributions?

My situation:  I had contributed $6000 to Roth IRA in 2022. But in December 2023, I found out that I cannot contribute any because my income is over the limit. So, I withdrew the $6000 in December 2023 knowning it has passed the October 15th deadline.  So, I will need to pay 6% penalty for my 2022 return which I need to file a 2022 amendment.

Question for 2023 return when answering the question in turbo tax.  I enter the 2023 form 1099-R with excess contribution of 6000 and box 7 is J.  Then I complete the rest steps for the 1099-R form.  After that I answer below follow up questions.

On question "Enter Prior Year Roth IRA Contributions", do I add up all of my Roth IRA contribution since I opened the account?  I opened my Roth IRA in 2001.  So, I will add up every year from 2001 until 2022?  I did enter this number but this number does not show up anywhere in form 5329 of my return.

On question "Enter Excess Contributions", so I will enter 6000. Is that correct?

At the end, I have 0 additional tax penaly on my 2023 return. I think this is correct because I withdrew the excess contribution before December 31, 2023. Therefore, I do not have additional tax penalty for 2023 tax.  Please confirm.  And for the tax penalty for 2022 tax return, I will need to file a 2022 1040X amendment for it to pay for the 6% tax.  Is my understanding correct?

Lastly, for tax return 2022, since I was supposed to pay the 6%, but I have not yet pay for it until later this year when I file an amendment. Will I need to pay interest for the 6% tax I owe to IRS?

Thank you in advance!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Congrats. you figured it out correctly.

I don't know if the IRS will charge you interest.

On 1040-X, ignore penalties. IRS will calculate it and if non-zero send you a bill.

You have until Tax Day, to remove a 2023 excess, or Oct 15 if you timely file Form 4868

@DatBio 

On question "Enter Prior Year Roth IRA Contributions", do I add up all of my Roth IRA contribution since I opened the account?  I opened my Roth IRA in 2001.  So, do I will add up every year from 2001 until 2022 for this entry?   This seems odd to me.

if you had earnings on the $6,000 the basis would be important.

in your case it doesn't matter.

If you want TurboTax to track your Roth basis, enter the amount. otherwise zero.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies