Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

OdileM

How to enter the 1042-S on TurboTax

Hi,

I became a resident alien last year and I received the 1042-S form containing amount in section (2) and (10). I cannot figure out how to include this amount on Turbotax. When I tried including it under "Wages and income" section as:

-  Less Common Income

- Miscellaneous Income, 1099-A, 1099-C

- Other Reportable Income

But that did not work.

I also tried to include it under the Dividends on 1099-DIV, Turbo did not let me upload the document. Am I doing it right or is there any other way to do it on the free version of turbo tax? 

I appreciate your help. Thank you!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

Including it under less common income>Miscellaneous Income, 1099-A, 1099-C>other reportable income is the correct method to report this. You will need to upgrade to Deluxe or higher to report this income properly.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Hello Dave,

Thank you for your reply, I did the same and got a notice from the IRS that the estimated payments when I was reporting the Federal withheld tax from my 1042-S were not counted. This means the filling was incorrect. As it should be indicated in the 1040 form those deductions from which form.

I'm on a US scholarship studying in the US, in previous years I was filling as a Non-Resident while I was on J-1, and I'm still on J-1 but I passed the SPT So I had to file as a Resident That is why I have to use TurboTax instead of Sprintax.

Do you have any recommendations?

ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

It is possible that the Form 1042-S lists an ITIN number as opposed to your social security number so the taxes withheld are sitting in an account referencing the ITIN. You may have to file a 1040NR form reporting no income in order to get a refund of the taxes withheld.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
OdileM

Thank you so much. Let me try upgrading!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies