Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How to enter RSU sell to cover when date acquired and cost basis are not available?

On my 1099-B, I have 3 different transactions:  "Units Sold 8", "Units Sold 1", and "Units Sold 12".  The date acquired and the cost basis are not available.  These units were sold to cover taxes on grants of 23 units, 3 units, and 36 units, respectively.  The remaining units were not sold and are being kept for now.

I have been back and forth between the forms and the "Step-by-Step" and am getting nowhere on how to enter these transactions properly.  

Complicating all of this is that the transactions were done in Euros but on my 1099-B they're in US$.  

Is there a way to get some guidance on how exactly to enter these in?  

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DavidD66
Expert Alumni

How to enter RSU sell to cover when date acquired and cost basis are not available?

RSUs are pretty straight forward.  When they vest, their value on that date is considered taxable income, which is reported in box 1 of your W-2.  That amount is subject to income tax withholding and employment taxes (Social Security and Medicare).  A portion of the RSUs are usually sold to cover those taxes.  The amount reported as income is also the cost basis of the RSUs. The date acquired is the date the grants vested. There is sometimes a small difference between the value reported as income (the cost basis) and the sales proceeds, which results in a small gain or loss.  Sometimes there is no difference between the two values and the resulting gain/loss is zero.  I recommend you determine you cost basis based on the amount of income reported for each grant, and the proceeds from the sale in US$.  When you enter in TurboTax, do not indicate that it involves company stock.  You will enter three sales transactions, which should have very small gains/losses, if not zero.      

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

2 Replies
DavidD66
Expert Alumni

RSUs are pretty straight forward.  When they vest, their value on that date is considered taxable income, which is reported in box 1 of your W-2.  That amount is subject to income tax withholding and employment taxes (Social Security and Medicare).  A portion of the RSUs are usually sold to cover those taxes.  The amount reported as income is also the cost basis of the RSUs. The date acquired is the date the grants vested. There is sometimes a small difference between the value reported as income (the cost basis) and the sales proceeds, which results in a small gain or loss.  Sometimes there is no difference between the two values and the resulting gain/loss is zero.  I recommend you determine you cost basis based on the amount of income reported for each grant, and the proceeds from the sale in US$.  When you enter in TurboTax, do not indicate that it involves company stock.  You will enter three sales transactions, which should have very small gains/losses, if not zero.      

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

thanks very much for your help!  I think I got it!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies