Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How to enter my income from United Nations as wages and being a green card holder

I am a green card holder working at the UN and the IRS says

"If you are a green card holder working for a foreign government or international organization, you generally must report your earnings as wages but are not subject to self-employment taxes on those earnings and may not voluntarily pay self-employment tax on those earnings."

Last year I reported the income easily following the instructions from Turbotax Help but this year, the guide is different and they ask me to fill out the SS-8 which I don´t have to. 

Thanks, Joseph

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
PattiF
Expert Alumni

How to enter my income from United Nations as wages and being a green card holder

See this IRS article  that references Employees of a Foreign Government or International Organization - How to Report Compensation.  There is a way to report this in Turbo Tax as other income.

1. Federal >Wages and Income
  2. Scroll down to Less Common Income
  3. Select Miscellaneous Income
  4. Select Other reportable income, select ‘yes’ and you will be prompted to enter Description and amount, for the description Wages from being an employee of an international organization not subject to FICA taxes and then the amount.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
PattiF
Expert Alumni

See this IRS article  that references Employees of a Foreign Government or International Organization - How to Report Compensation.  There is a way to report this in Turbo Tax as other income.

1. Federal >Wages and Income
  2. Scroll down to Less Common Income
  3. Select Miscellaneous Income
  4. Select Other reportable income, select ‘yes’ and you will be prompted to enter Description and amount, for the description Wages from being an employee of an international organization not subject to FICA taxes and then the amount.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies