turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How to enter lawsuit settlement into TurboTax?

Previous post last year for context: https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-credits-deductions/discussion/is-a-lawsuit-settlement-taxable-...

I took a lost in 2019 related to a Real Estate Investment so I have a large capital loss carry forward. As a result of a lawsuit, I've reached a settlement and payments commenced in 2020. I'm assuming this should go against my capital loss, but I wasn't sure where to enter it to get that effect as this isn't really income but more a recovery of my investment.  Any help would be appreciated! Thank you!!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
DianeW777
Expert Alumni

How to enter lawsuit settlement into TurboTax?

It appears you already sold the real estate investment at a loss, and the answer will reflect that fact since you have a capital loss carryforward.

It would seem the settlement received would be like additional sales proceeds from the property which you must determine based on the document descriptions for the settlement award. If you find that to be the case, then you should report the settlement as a sale with the settlement as the sales price and zero as the cost basis. This would then be used to offset your capital loss carryforward.

Sign into your TurboTax account, then follow the steps below and also click here for more assistance.

1. Select Wages & Income > Scroll to Stocks, Mutual Funds, Bonds, Other > Revisit or Start
  2. Select Edit beside the sale or begin the sale entry
  3. No you did not receive a Form 1099-B > Select I'll enter one sale at a time
  4. Continue to enter your sale
  5. Now you can follow the screens to enter your sale
  6. See IRS Publication 525 (Recoveries) for more information
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies